EXPANDING THE COLLEGIATE EXPERIENCE THROUGH LEADERSHIP (EXCEL)
PEER MENTOR PROGRAM
The ExCEL Peer Mentor Program provides outreach and support to incoming Student Support Services (SSS) students. Mentees will be paired up with an ExCEL mentor (an upper-class student at UB) who will assist with familiarizing the mentee with university resources, easing their transition to college life and instilling a sense of community and belonging.
First year students, apply to be a Mentee!
Are you excited to enter your college experience? Are you looking to get involved? If so, we encourage you to apply to be a mentee for the ExCEL Peer Mentor Program.
Interested mentees must submit the following:
Upperclassmen, apply to be a Mentor!
The Student Support Services ExCEL Peer Mentor Program is a great opportunity for sophomores and upperclassmen to offer support and encouragement to SSS first year and transfer students through social and academic activities and events. ExCEL Peer Mentors are service minded students who play a key role in assisting first year and new transfer students become acclimated to the campus and the demands of the collegiate life. ExCEL Peer Mentors assist new students through one-on-one and group meetings with their mentees. SSS Peer Mentors are an important on-campus resource for new students and work as vital members of the SSS ExCEL mentor team.
ExCEL Peer Mentor Qualifications and Responsibilities:
- Must be enrolled as a full-time student at UB
- Must be a sophomore or higher
- Must be an active SSS participant
- Have a sincere desire to guide and support peers academically, professionally and personally
- Must be responsible, independent and mature and has the ability to motivate others
- Must be an individual who is honest, respectful and has integrity
- Must be willing to serve as a role model to mentees
- Understand and demonstrate the skills necessary to be a successful college student
- Must be able to commit to the mentor role for one academic year
- Meet with all assigned mentees on a weekly basis
- Initiate and maintain contact with mentees
- Advise mentees on college adjustment issues
- Notify mentees about all SSS and campus events
- Attend SSS sponsored events with mentee
- Attend UB events with mentee
- Maintain accurate paperwork and logs of mentee contact for the SSS program
- Attend monthly ExCEL Peer Mentor meetings
- Notify supervisor about mentee progress or concerns
- Participate in all trainings
- Other responsibilities as assigned by the SSS staff
Interested Peer Mentors must submit the following:
1. ExCEL Peer Mentor Application (PDF)
2. A current resume
ExCEL Mentee and Mentor applications and materials should be sent to:
Student Support Services
126 Park Avenue
Wahlstrom Library 519
Bridgeport, CT 06604
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 203-576-4186