Proposed by the Faculty January 2014
Approved at the UBAI All-School Meeting April 2014
Acupuncture Institute Mission & Educational Objectives
The mission of the University of Bridgeport Acupuncture Institute is to offer a comprehensive education that prepares qualified candidates to become successful licensed acupuncturists. The University of Bridgeport Acupuncture Institute is an integrated unit of the University of Bridgeport. The program seeks to advance the discipline of Traditional Chinese Medicine through educational, clinical and scholarly activities. The program educates its students to be productive, caring and responsible citizens and skilled healthcare professionals. By providing an outstanding professional education, the program will produce graduates with a high level of clinical skills who have the commitment and judgment necessary to act in the service of others.
The Educational Objectives of the Acupuncture Institute are to train and educate acupuncture students who prior to graduation:
- Demonstrate competency in utilizing the four examinations to identify Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) diagnoses.
- Have the ability to formulate and skillfully implement the safe and effective clinical application of Chinese medicine modalities based upon a total assessment of the patient;
- For MS- Acup: to formulate and skillfully implement safe and effective TCM acupuncture, moxabustion, qi cultivation, tui na and adjunctive techniques.
- For MS-TCM: to formulate and skillfully implement safe and effective acupuncture, moxabustion, Chinese herbal medicine, qi cultivation, tui na and other adjunctive techniques.
- For MS-CH: to formulate and skillfully implement safe and effective Chinese herbal medicine, and dietary therapies.
University of Bridgeport Acupuncture Institute institutional goals are to:
Offer a comprehensive graduate-level education that trains future graduates in a broad range of TCM knowledge, competencies and skills so that we achieve our Mission and educational objectives
- Offer a comprehensive graduate-level education that trains future graduates in a broad range of TCM knowledge, competencies and skills so that we achieve our Mission and educational objectives
- Administer a professional and affordable treatment clinic that:
- Serves the local community; and
- Instructs student interns in the diagnosis and treatment of health conditions in a diverse population
- Support the profession of acupuncture through community service; and
- Train students in integrative care settings;
UBAI Vision Statement
The University of Bridgeport Acupuncture Institute (UBAI) will lead in the movement to create cross-platform approaches to medicine and health between conventional, Western biomedical concepts and Traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) training and care. UBAI will train healthcare leaders who, through evaluation of patient care from a variety of perspectives, including biomedical, pharmacological and Asian perspectives, will create opportunities for working in integrative care settings, as part of a collaborative health care team, and throughout the modern US medical infrastructure.