Associate Dean, Business Development &
Director, Technology Management Program
Division of Graduate Studies & Research
School of Engineering
Advisor to Connecticut Business Plan Competition Winners & Finalists – 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010
Thirty years of diversified executive, general management, technical (CIO), marketing and consulting experience with profit and loss operating responsibility in both Fortune 500 multinational and small start-up such as MCA, Air Products & Chemical, Continental Group, Verizon (NYNEX), AT&T, KeySpan Energy (National Grid), Bristol-Myers Squibb, Purdue Pharmaceutical, Standard Kollsman Industries, TDK, JPMorgan Chase, Cigna Insurance, Bank General of Luxembourg, TNT Expense Management, ATMI, GSA-FTS and others. Top secret clearance with U.S. Federal Government.
- B.A., City College, New York, NY
- MBA, The Baruch School, CUNY, New York, NY
- PIE, Columbia University, New York, NY
- DPS, Pace University, New York, NY
- Project Management Professional (PMP Certification, PMI)
- Certified Outsourcing Professional (COP Certification, IAOP)
Teaching and Courses:
Over ten years of university teaching experience in graduate MBA, MS and undergraduate programs in the USA and Europe. Created and implemented new academic programs and created successful Corporate-University certificate and seminar programs. Courses taught: Business Strategy; Entrepreneurship; Marketing; Information Technology; Project Management, Product Management, Leadership, Innovation & Managing Change, Technology New Venture Creation, Strategic Sourcing and Outsourcing and others.
Committees and Other Activities:
Director, CTech IncUBator @ University of Bridgeport (2010 – Present) – In collaboration with Connecticut Innovations, planned, developed, and am managing the first and only University-based incubator for high technology start-ups in Fairfield County, CT.
Chair, PhD Program in Technology Management Committee (Spring 2008 - 2009) - developing an inter-disciplinary PhD degree spanning the Schools of Business and Engineering and focusing on a balance of entrepreneurship/ corporate intrapreneurship/ technology new venture creation and current/emerging technologies (e.g. IT; environment & energy technology; financial engineering; manufacturing, supply chain and logistics technology and systems and bio-technology and bio-medical engineering.
Winner & Finalist of the CT Business Plan Competition (Fall 2005, Spring 2006, Fall 2006, Fall 2007, Spring 2008, Fall 2008, Spring 2009, Fall 2009) - Advisor to Schools of Business and Engineering teams that won first place in the Graduate New Venture Business Category. UB teams won in 5 out of the last 7 CT Business Plan competitions. The competition is open to all universities in the State of CT and is sponsored by the State of CT Economic Development Department, the CT Venture Group and CT Innovation Corporation.
Member, Committee that Developed New Concentrations for the MBA, MS and the new Dual Graduate Business and Engineering Degree Programs - 2006 - 2007 Center for Interdisciplinary Business, Engineering and Technology Leadership (CIBETL) - Transitioned the CBIT Board to the CIBETL Board, consisting of senior industry executives who provide advise and counsel for select education programs and internship opportunities for UB Engineering and Business students - 2003 - Present
Developed new MBA/TM courses offered in the Fall, 2006, Spring 2007 and Fall 2008 - Global IT Strategy and Governance; Strategic Sourcing and Outsourcing, Technology New Venture Creation.
Research Interests and Select Publications:
Research interests include: business and marketing strategy formulation & execution; information technology strategy & governance; new venture creation & entrepreneurship; program and project management; strategic sourcing & outsourcing and new product development & commercialization. Author and co-author of five (5) books, over seventy (70) refereed articles, chapters in books, journal articles and/or conference proceedings. Invited popular speaker to over 50 domestic and international industry and academic conferences. Recent publications and conference proceedings include:
- Selig, Gad, Bullen, Christine and Lefave, Richard, Implementing Strategic Sourcing: A Manager's Guide to World Class Best Practices for Sourcing and Outsourcing, Van Haren Publishing, 2010, ISBN# 978-90-8753-579-7.
- Selig, G., Implementing IT Governance: A Practical Guide to Global Best Practices in IT Management, Van Haren Publishing, Holland, 2008, ISBN# 978-90-8753-119-5.
- Selig, G., Implementing IT Governance: A Pocket Guide, Van Haren Publishing, Holland, 2008, ISBN# 978-90-8753-216-1.
- Selig, G., Strategic Planning for Information Resource Management - A Multinational Perspective, UMI Research Press, Ann Arbor, MI, 1983, ISBN# 0-8357-1448-9.
- Lieberman, M., Selig, G., and Walsh, J., Office Automation - A Manager's Guide to Improved Productivity, John Wiley & Company, New York, New York, NY 1982, ISBN# 0-471-07983-9.
- Mardis, W., and Selig, G. "The Task of Creating Added-Value Strategies: Managing Post-Acquisition Implementation," H.F. Glass, Editor, Handbook of Business Planning, Warren, Gorham & LaMont Publishers, New York, NY 1989.
- Poppel, H., and Selig, G., "The Global Information Industry: A Trillion Dollar Tomorrow," D. Clutterbuck, Editor, Information 2000, Pitman Publishing Ltd., London, England, 1989.
Refereed Articles, Referred Conference Papers, Conference Proceedings and Presentations and Sponsored Papers:
- Selig, Gad J., "Excellence in Project, Program and Portfolio Investment and Execution Management: Lessons Learned from World Class Companies," Project Management Institute - NYC Chapter Breakfast Meeting Presentation, New York, NY, March 23, 2011.
- Selig, Gad J., "Implementing Strategic Sourcing Initiatives Successfully through Project Management Disciplines," Project Management Institute - NYC Chapter Dinner Meeting Presentation, New York, NY, December 15, 2010.
- Selig, Gad J., "Winning Risk and Threat Management and Mitigation Strategies - Why, What and How?" Project Management Institute Breakfast Meeting Presentation, New York, NY, November, 17, 2010.
- Selig, Gad J., "Winning Risk Management and Mitigation Strategies in Program and Project Management: Lessons Learned and Critical Success Factors," SNET PMI Chapter Dinner Meeting Presentation, Crown Plaza Hotel, Cromwell, CT, May 19, 2010.
- Selig, Gad J., "IT Governance - An Integrated Framework for How to plan, Deploy and Sustain for Competitive Advantage," Paper to be presented and published in the Proceedings of the ASEE Zone 1 Conference, Bridgeport, CT, April 3 - 4, 2009.
- Selig, Gad J. and Sobh, Tarek, "Transforming a Technology Management Master's Degree into an Innovative High Growth Inter-Disciplinary Program," Journal on Emerging & Applied Sciences, March 2009, PP. 932-942.
- Selig, Gad J., "Linking Enterprise Governance to IT Governance and Making It Real: Why, What and Lessons Learned," Proceedings of National Capital Area Chapter of ISACA Conference on IT Governance, Ronald Regan International Trade Building, Washington, D.C., May 19, 2009.
- Selig, Gad J."Executive Overview of IT Governance Best Practices," Proceedings of Pink Elephant's 13th Annual International IT Service Management Conference, Bellagio Hotel, Las Vegas, NV, February 22 - 25, 2009.
- Selig, Gad J."Implementing IT Governance: Performance Management, Management Controls, Risk Mitigation and Enabling Technologies," Proceedings of Pink Elephant's 13th Annual International IT Service Management Conference, Bellagio Hotel, Las Vegas, NV, February 22 - 25, 2009.
- Selig, Gad J., "Winning Risk Management and Mitigation Strategies: Issues, Lessons Learned and Critical Success Factors," Presentation to the New York City Chapter of the Project Management Institute, AXA Building, February 18, 2009.
- Selig, Gad J., "The Role of the PM and PMO in Aligning IT and the Business More Effectively," paper presented and published in the Proceedings of Southern New England Chapter of the Project Management Institute - Third Annual Conference, Hartford Convention Center, Hartford, CT, May 2, 2008.
- Selig, Gad J., "Critical Success Factors and Best Practices for Program and Project Management Excellence," MundoPM Magazine (Brazil), April, 2008.
- Selig, Gad J., "Transforming a Technology Management Master's Degree Curriculum into a Successful Inter-Disciplinary Program for the 21st Century Needs of Global Organizations," Paper presented and published in the Proceedings of the ASEE Zone 1 Conference, West Point, NY, March 28 - 29, 2008.
- Selig, Gad J., "How to Win Deals in the Rapidly Changing World of Outsourcing - Critical Success Factors for vendor/Customer Collaboration and Innovation to Grow Revenues," The 2007 Outsourcing World Summit, February 18 - 21, 2007, Loews Hotel, Lake Las Vegas, Las Vegas. Nevada.
- Selig, Gad J., "Managing Accelerating Change and Innovation," SNEC PMI Chapter Meeting, February 6, 2007, Marriott Courtyard, Orange, CT
Professional Associations, Affiliations & Honors:
- Co-Chair, Board of Advisors, CTech IncUBator @ University of Bridgeport
- Academy of Management
- Elected to Delta Mu Delta, The National Honor Society in Business Administration
- Founding Member and first Chairman of Information Technology Roundtable, comprising of twenty Fortune 200 corporations.
- International Association of Outsourcing Professionals (IAOP)
- Project Management Institute (PMI)
- Society for Information Management (SIM)