Instructions for Taking a UB Online Course
Here are the steps you need to follow when taking your first UB Online course:
1) Make sure you have completed the steps for Getting Started
Before you can take your first online course, you must have completed the steps below. To review these steps visit our Getting Started section.
- Accepted into a program
- Set up your UBNet account
- Register & pay for classes
- Order your textbooks
2) Check your UB email
After you register for an online course, you MUST check your UB email regularly for course instructions & important messages. To access your UB email, login to myUB and click on UB Email on the top left. For assistance, visit our UB Email Help section.
3) Online orientation- one week before your first online course
New students will receive an email one week prior to their first online course with Orientation instructions. Please check your UB email!
- The online orientation is required for all new online students (you do NOT need to register for the orientation, and will automatically be enrolled). The orientation is conducted in an actual online classroom, and is designed to help you become familiar with all the features used in our online courses.
- Students only need to complete the Orientation once, prior to their first online course.
Here are the computer requirements & support resources for an online course.
4) Online course access - login to Canvas on the course start date
Students should login to Canvas on the official course start date:
- Students will NOT receive access to their online courses until the first day of class.
- To access your online courses, login to myUB and click on the Canvas link under Library & Technology Resources in the middle of the page.
5) How do UB online classes work?
Taking an online course can be a very rewarding experience if you are prepared.. Here are some tips for taking your first online course:
- UB online classes are not self-study classes. Each class has a start & end date, with weekly assignments, and requires regular participation.
- You will need to login to your online class 2-3 times per week to read your course material, get your assignments, and interact with other students. Students who do not participate during the first week of the course may be dropped from the course.
- Participate frequently. Regular participation will help you stay connected to the course, your instructor, and your classmates.
- You do not need to be online at any particular time, although it is helpful to plan a few hours each week into your schedule to complete your coursework.
- Stay in contact with your instructor if you have any questions or need clarification on course requirements.
6) Still have questions or need help?
If you have any further questions or need additional help, visit our UB Online Tech Support section. You will find access to tutorials, tech support, and other helpful resources.