Instructions for Taking a UB Online Course
Here are the steps you need to follow when taking your first UB Online course:
To register for an online course, visit our Registration section. Make sure to register early as online courses are popular and often fill up quickly
2) Order Textbooks
For instructions on ordering textbooks, visit our Course Schedule section and click on “How To Order Textbooks”. Textbooks are mandatory, and should be ordered early.
3) Check your UB email
After you register for an online course, you MUST check your UB email regularly for course instructions & important messages. To learn how to access your UB email visit our UB Email Help section.
4) Online orientation
New students will receive an email one week prior to their first online course with Orientation instructions. Please check your UB email!
- The online orientation is required for all new online students (you do NOT need to register for the orientation, and will automatically be enrolled). The orientation is conducted in an actual online classroom, and is designed to help you become familiar with all the features used in our online courses.
- Students only need to complete the Orientation once, prior to their first online course.
Here are the computer requirements & support resources for an online course.
5) Online course access
Students should login to Canvas on the official course start date:
- Students will NOT receive access to their online courses until the first day of class. To confirm your registration, follow the registration confirmation instructions.
- All students will receive an email with instructions for accessing online courses by 5pm on the day the course officially begins (ET Eastern Time). Visit our Course Schedule for exact course dates. If you do not receive an email by 5pm, please contact the Distance Learning office.
- To access your online courses, login to myUB and click on the Canvas link under Library & Technology Resources in the middle of the page.
6) How do UB online classes work?
Taking an online course can be a very rewarding experience if you are prepared.. Here are some tips for taking your first online course:
- UB online classes are not self-study classes. Each class has a start & end date, with weekly assignments, and requires regular participation.
- You will need to login to your online class 2-3 times per week to read your course material, get your assignments, and interact with other students. Students who do not participate during the first week of the course may be dropped from the course.
- You do not need to be online at any particular time, although it is helpful to plan a few hours each week into your schedule to complete your coursework.
- Order your textbooks early - you MUST have the proper textbooks to begin your online course.
- Check the Distance Learning Course Schedule section for syllabus & course requirements.
- For more information about using Canvas for online courses, visit our Canvas Help section.
7) Still have questions?
If you have any further questions or need additional help, visit our UB Online Tech Support section.