Online learning education gives you the opportunity to advance your education without having to come to the UB campus. The online courses are conducted entirely through the Internet, allowing you to receive assignments, submit coursework, and interact with your professor and other students via your computer. You do not have to be online at any particular time. However, while online courses provide some time flexibility, they are highly interactive and are NOT self-study courses. Most courses follow a weekly schedule, and require you to login at least 2-3 times each week to participate successfully.
Getting started is easy. Here are the steps you need to follow to enroll in our online degree programs:
Step 1) Apply For Admission
Step 2) Set Up UBNet Account
Step 3) Register & Pay For Classes
Step 4) Order Your Textbooks
Step 5) Complete The Online Orientation
Step 6) Login To Canvas On The First Day Of Classes
If this is your first online course at the University of Bridgeport you’ll need to complete an application for admission. Specific admission requirements for our online programs are listed on the website for each program. Upon acceptance, you will receive notice of credits that transfer into your degree program, if any. Financial aid is also available for those who qualify.
- Apply for Admission to UB or to apply for Financial Aid. NOTE – if you are interested in taking individual courses but not being admitted into a degree program,, you must submit a Special Student application form.
Once you have received your acceptance letter you should set up your UBNet account. A UBNet account gives you access to a email@example.com email account, online registration, Canvas (UB's online classroom), and library services.
- To set up a new UBNET account, visit UBNet and select “New UBNET Account” on the left. You MUST wait 24 hours after setting up your UBNET account to be eligible to register.
- If you have a UBNET account and you cannot login or do not remember your UBNET username and password, visit UBNet and select “Reset Password” on the left, and you will immediately receive a new password and your current username on your screen – print and save for future reference.
- If you need help setting up your UBNet account, contact the UB Help Desk at 203-576-4606.
Once you have set up your UBNet account, you will need to register for your courses through Webadvisor. If you are not sure which courses you need to take, contact your academic program advisor. Registration is limited for all courses so advance registration is highly recommended.
- You MUST wait 24 hours after setting up your UBNET account to be eligible to register.
- Follow these Online Registration Instructions (PDF)
- If you need help with registration, contact the UB Help Desk 203-576-4606 or contact your advisor.
B: Confirm your registration (students will not receive written confirmation of registration):
- Login to myUB and click on "Academic Profile" under Webadvisor
- Click on "My Class Schedule"
- The courses you have successfully registered for will be listed
C: Make Payment (students are required to pay in full PRIOR to the first day of class):
- Tuition and course fees:
The tuition and fees for each program can be found online: Tuition & Fees
- Payment options:
To learn about paymeny options: Payment options
D: To drop a course
Students can drop courses online through Webadvisor, and should also notify their advisor. All drops are subject to a semester registration fee and a course drop fee, and after a course begins are subject to a loss of tuition (see Tuition & Course Fees in Step 5).
- Students utilizing Financial Aid should contact the Financial Aid office prior to dropping a course to determine the effect on their financial aid status!
- For Add/Drop deadlines and other questions, students should contact their academic advisor.
- To Drop A Course:
To drop an online course, login to myUB and go to Webadvisor on the right.
E: Incomplete coursework
- Students unable to complete coursework during the official course dates may be eligible for an incomplete (refer to the Incomplete Grade Policy in the UB Catalog). Students should contact their academic advisor and instructor for assistance.
Students must have textooks prior to the start of each course. The UB Bookstore carries textbooks for online courses. You should order your textbooks as early as possible, as texbooks are required. To order textbooks visit the UB Bookstore:
One week prior to starting your first online course, you will automatically be given access to an interactive Online Orientation. In only a few minutes per day, you’ll become familiar with the activities in an actual online course on Canvas – including viewing lectures, participating in the discussion board, completing assignments, sending email, and interacting with your instructors and fellow students. The Orientation is designed to help you feel comfortable with our online classroom, and is required for all new online students:
- Login to myUB regularly to check your UB email & access Canvas.
- Online orientation: New students will receive an email one week prior to their first online course with Orientation instructions. Students only need to complete the Orientation once, prior to their first online course.
- Cancellation policy: UB reserves the right to cancel or reschedule courses, and to change instructors. Courses may be canceled prior to the course start date if less than the required minimum number of students are registered. If a course is canceled or rescheduled, students should contact their academic advisor immediately for assistance.
Students will receive access to their online courses on the official start date. Simply login to myUB and click on Canvas under Library and Technical Resources and you will see your courses under “Courses” in Canvas. Good luck!