The Clinical Mental Health Counseling Concentration is designed to prepare students to function effectively in public or private agencies that provide direct services to clients with mental health and substance abuse issues. Graduates of the Clinical Mental Health Counseling concentration are eligible for licensure as professional counselors (L.P.C.) in Connecticut. 60 credits are required for the master’s degree and licensure in Connecticut and most other states. This program may be accomplished on a full-time or part-time basis.
The objectives of the Clinical Mental Health Counseling Concentration foster the individual growth and professional development of students, preparing them for careers as licensed professional counselors who provide psychotherapy services.
- Graduates will have a basic knowledge foundation in the areas of legal, ethical, professional issues in counseling, social and cultural foundations, human growth and development, career development, helping relationships, group work, appraisal, evidence based therapy, research methods and program evaluation.
- Graduates will be prepared for a career in counseling – for using their counseling, consultation assessment skills effectively.
- Graduates will demonstrate competence in the skill areas of individual counseling, family counseling, group counseling, consultation, and overall clinical work.
Personal characteristics students cultivate in our program include:
- Self-reflection skills
- Determination and confidence
- Leadership skills
- Sound decision making skills
- Strong organizational and managerial skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Communication and motivational skills
- Familiarity with information technology
Upon completion of the program students will be prepared to work in a variety of settings including:
- Mental health counseling centers
- Career centers
- Substance abuse treatment centers
- Crisis counseling centers
- Other clinical mental health agencies offering counseling services
Accreditation and Standards
The University of Bridgeport is accredited by the State of Connecticut Board of Higher Education and the New England Association of Schools and Colleges, and the department is accredited by the council for Higher Education. We closely follow the guidelines of the Connecticut Department of Public Health for the licensing of professional counselors.