Educational Mission, Objectives & Goals
Most recent update:
Proposed by the Mission and Objectives Committee October 25, 2010
Approved by UBAI faculty and students during annual surveys in February 2011
Ratified by the UBAI Faculty, Staff and Students during the All-School Meeting on April 13, 2011
The mission of the University of Bridgeport Acupuncture Institute is to offer a comprehensive education that prepares qualified candidates to become successful licensed acupuncturists. The University of Bridgeport Master of Science in Acupuncture degree program is an integrated unit of the University of Bridgeport, a private, non-sectarian, comprehensive university. The program seeks to advance the discipline of oriental medical acupuncture through educational, clinical and scholarly activities. The program educates its students to be productive, caring and responsible citizens and skilled healthcare professionals. By providing an outstanding professional education, the program will produce graduates with a high level of clinical skills who have the commitment and judgment necessary to act in the service of others.
The Educational Objectives of the Acupuncture Institute are to train and educate acupuncture students who prior to graduation:
- Demonstrate competency in utilizing the four examinations to identify Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) diagnoses.
- Master TCM acupuncture, moxabustion and adjunctive techniques.
- Adapt diagnosis and treatment strategies as needed for diverse patient populations.
- Evaluate patient care from biomedical, pharmacological and Asian perspective in order to understand the medical context in which patients present, make appropriate treatment, and consultation decisions in various healthcare settings including as part of a collaborative health care team; and make timely referrals when appropriate.
- Value patients’ dignity and confidentiality.
University of Bridgeport Acupuncture Institute institutional goals are to:
- Offer a comprehensive graduate-level education that trains future graduates in a broad range of TCM knowledge, competencies and skills so that we achieve our Mission and educational objectives
- Administer a professional and affordable treatment clinic that:
- Serves the local community; and
- Instructs student interns in the diagnosis and treatment of health conditions in a diverse population
- Conduct outreach clinics to:
- Support the profession of acupuncture through community service; and
- Train students in integrative care settings;
- Preserve and further the understanding of human health and the art of Asian medicine.
- Produce graduates who can meet state and national licensure requirements