What are the requirements for admission to ELI?
The main requirement is a desire to work hard to learn English. We need a completed application form and $50 application fee in order to accept you. If you are outside of the United States and need a visa, you need to apply for an F1 student visa. Students must be 17 years or older. There are no upper age restrictions.

I need an F1 visa. What is the application process?
To apply directly to ELI, submit the application form, copy of the information and photo pages of the passport, financial documents to show proof of ability to pay for tuition, fees, and living expenses, and $50 application fee. Be sure to include an email address so we can contact you if we have any questions. When your application is complete, ELI will issue an I-20 and mail it to you with instructions on how to apply for a visa.

What are the financial documents you need?
We need a bank statement that shows the name of the account holder, the amount of money in the account, and is dated no more than 6 months before the date you want to start studying. The amount in the account must be at least $5900. The bank can be in the US or in your country, but must be in English. We can calculate the money exchange rate. If the bank account is not in the student’s name, the bank account holder must fill out and sign the Affidavit of Financial Support on the application.

Can I study at ELI if I don’t have an F1 visa?
F2 and B1/B2 visa holders need to be in the US when they apply and can study for one session only. For other visas, please contact us directly for guidance.

I want to be accepted at the University of Bridgeport before going to ELI.
Good idea! Most of our students are conditionally accepted into UB programs and study at ELI on their UB I-20. Get more information on conditional acceptance.

I have an ELI I-20 and I got my visa, what do I do now?
Contact ELI to let us know that you have a visa and are definitely coming. Let us know if you need on-campus housing so we can reserve a room for you.

I have conditional acceptance and a UB I-20, I want to study at ELI before UB, and I got my visa. What do I do now?
You must sign your confirmation letter and make a tuition deposit to reserve your place in your UB program. If you need on-campus housing, you must make a housing deposit to reserve a room and you must submit a completed housing contract. Be sure to contact ELI to let us know you are coming. You should arrive on the Tuesday before your ELI start date to move into on-campus housing or if you are off-campus report to ELI at 9:00am Wednesday morning.

I have conditional acceptance and a UB I-20 and I don’t want to study at ELI if I don’t have to. What do I do?
You must sign your confirmation letter and make a tuition deposit to reserve your place in your UB program. If you need on-campus housing, you must make a housing deposit to reserve a room and you must submit a completed housing contract. Arrive for UB Orientation (one week before ELI’s start) and take the ELAB test. If you pass the test you can start UB classes full time. If you do not pass you will study at ELI.
What’s the cost of ELl?

For full details of the cost to attend ELI, go to the ELI Costs page
What are the housing choices?
ELI students usually live in Barnum Hall with other UB students. Barnum Hall is the residence hall where many international students live. Also, it is considered as “Healthy Living” since no alcohol is allowed. Students with a conditional admission and an I-20 for a Master’s degree may choose to live in North Hall. North Hall is a Graduate Student Residence located on the UB campus. For more information, please contact Danusia at the ELI office at dnowakow@bridgeport.edu

What’s the cost of on-campus housing?
If you live in Barnum Seeley, or Bodine Halls, the cost for room and meals is $2,750 for one ELI session. This cost includes your room and ELI Meal Plan. Student eat their meals in Marina Dining Hall with UB students. If you live in North Hall (only if you have an I-20 for a Master’s degree) you pay only for the room. Meals are not included.

Do I have to live on campus?
Students under the age of 21 must live on campus unless you live with a parent or sibling and get permission from the director of residential life.

How do I reserve a room?
To reserve a room you must send in the housing contract and housing deposit about 2 weeks before your start date. Scanned copies via e-mail are accepted. Please contact Danusia at the ELI office at dnowakow@bridgeport.edu

When should I arrive at ELI?
Students staying in off-campus housing can arrive at ELI at 9 a.m. on Wednesday morning. You do not have to check in with ELI before, but can come directly to the office. Driving directions and a campus map will be mailed with your acceptance letter. Cars can be parked on Park avenue or in the parking lot next to Mandeville Hall. You can take the No. 1 (GBTA) Bridgeport city bus to the University of Bridgeport. Get off the bus at the intersection of Park Avenue and Linden Street. Go to the second floor of Carlson Hall where you will find ELI staff.

Students staying on-campus should arrive on Tuesday, the day before the start of your ELI session. If you have reserved a room with us and have informed us of your arrival time, Residential Life will have reserved a room for you and the ELI liaison will be expecting you. On Wednesday morning, come to ELI at 9 a.m. for registration.

How do I get to UB/ELI from the airport?
ELI recommends that students arrive at JFK (John F. Kennedy) or LaGuardia International Airport, both in New York City. Please plan to arrive on Tuesday, the day before the start of the session.

If you arrive at JFK or LaGuardia airports, please use Go Airport Shuttle (Prime Time Shuttle) to the University of Bridgeport. Do not take a taxi directly from the airport to Bridgeport. It is very expensive!

  • Make a reservation with Go Airport Shuttle.
  • When you arrive at the airport, look for “Ground Transportation Information”.
  • Tell them you want GO Airport Shuttle to Bridgeport, Connecticut.
  • They will help you call the shuttle company and show you where to wait.
  • Tell the driver you are going to University of Bridgeport.
  • The ride to UB takes about 1-1 1/2 hours. The last shuttle leaves at 11:30 p.m. The cost is $59. You should give the driver a tip of about $5.

If I study English at ELI, can I use the certificate at another American college or university?
The other university will decide that and in most cases the answer will be no. ELI at the University of Bridgeport is not connected with any other ELIs at other universities.

Can I study at ELI and the university at the same time?
Students who are in Level 5 or Level 6 at the start of the fall or spring semesters and who are getting good grades at ELI can get permission to take one or two UB classes at the same time as ELI. The classes must meet outside of the ELI class times and semester fees, housing, and insurance costs are charged instead of the ELI charges.

What are your teachers’ experience and training?
At ELI the effectiveness of our instructor’s teaching ability is of first importance to us. Most of our instructors have graduate degrees and all have several years experience teaching English as a Second Language. Instructors have regular supervisor observations, receive class evaluations, and participate in in-service training.

What are classes like?
ELI classes are smaller than language classes in most countries and require a lot of participation. You will practice listening and speaking even in grammar, reading, and writing classes. Teachers are friendly and want everyone to succeed and also expect you to work hard to meet your goals.

Will I meet American students and learn about American culture?
We organize Conversation Partners, discussion groups, and social events with university students. You can attend any club or activity on campus or go on trips to New York City, Boston, or other cities. It is easy to take the train to local shopping centers and small towns and cities in Connecticut. You can ask to have an American roommate if you live on campus. Most Americans are happy to meet people from other countries. It is up to you how much you learn about this country!