The English Language Institute (ELI) at the University of Bridgeport offers three (3) academic curriculum levels:
- High Intermediate
- Low Intermediate
In addition we offer a Beginning level for students who have had limited years of English study before arriving:
Students are placed in a level by a placement test during Orientation or by a TOEFL or IELTS score submitted before they arrive.
- Students learn academic style Writing of multi-paragraph essays and summaries. The Advanced level learns to write research papers.
- Academic Reading skills at the appropriate level are addressed in all classes.
- Listening practice is provided by in-class audio and video as well as opportunities in the computer lab. High Intermediate and Advanced classes practice academic lecture listening and note-taking in preparation for university work.
- Speaking classes allow for formal and informal, individual and small group speaking tasks, and speaking opportunities are integrated into all skill classes.
- Every level studies all the major areas of Grammar, and Advanced grammar classes focus on editing.
- Cultural awareness is part of all classes so that students know how to be successful in a U.S. academic environment.
- All students can participate in informal conversation groups with American students after class.
- Students have the opportunity to visit university classes and attend campus lectures.
- Students write and perform a skit in front of students and teachers.
- Students prepare and participate in a semi-formal debate with an audience of their peers and/or university faculty.