The English Language Institute (ELI) at the University of Bridgeport offers six (6) curriculum levels:
- 6 – Advanced
- 5 – Low Advanced
- 4 – High Intermediate
- 3 – Low Intermediate
- 2 – Elementary
- 1 – Beginning
- Pre-1 class is offered as needed for students who do not yet have the skills to start our regular program.
- We offer most levels every session.
- Students are placed in a level by a placement test during Orientation or by a TOEFL or IELTS score submitted before they arrive.
- Beginning through Low Intermediate classes learn paragraph writing
- High Intermediate classes learn multi-paragraph essays
- Advanced classes continue with essay writing and learn to write research papers
- Academic Reading skills at the appropriate level are addressed in all classes.
- Listening practice is provided by in-class audio and video as well as opportunities in the computer lab. High Intermediate and Advanced classes practice academic lecture listening and note-taking in preparation for university work.
- Speaking classes allow for formal and informal, individual and small group speaking tasks, and speaking opportunities are integrated into all skill classes.
- Every level studies all the major areas of Grammar, and Advanced grammar classes focus on editing.
- Cultural awareness is part of all classes so that students know how to be successful in a U.S. academic environment.
- All students can participate in informal conversation groups with American students after class.
- Students have the opportunity to visit university classes and attend campus lectures.
- Level 5 students write and perform a skit.
- Level 6 students prepare and participate in a semi-formal debate with an audience of their peers and/or university faculty.