Annual Online Program Starts Every Quarter
Health care practitioners are faced with growing pressure to provide the highest quality of patient care in the face of increasing demands for accountability from the government, insurance industry and increasingly informed patients.
The Journal Club is designed to provide the student with access to concepts and resources needed for bibliographic research using the electronic books and full text journals offered through the Eureka! digital library. Students can access material anytime, anywhere via the Internet.
Discipline-specific search guides, database tutorials, and instruction in evidence-based practice are available on the library website in basic navigation of Internet tools through either on-site or telephone appointments. At course end, each participant will complete a survey capturing data on their personal experience with the research process.
Magnus Wahlstrom Library
The Journal Club offers a continuing learning experience and practice of the techniques and assessment concepts involved in evidence-based research.
The Journal Club includes:
- Access to the University of Bridgeport Library services for one year.
- Access to multiple database services offered through the state of the art University of Bridgeport digital Library services, including PubMed (with enhanced full text delivery), Science Direct, AMED Alternative Medicine, MANTIS, Natural Standards, Index to Chiropractic Literature, EbscoHost, Westlaw.
- Access to over 60,000 full text electronic books.
- Extensive tutorials offering instruction in navigating the electronic resources.
- Access to UB Reference librarians.
- Use the evidence-based approach to reading reports of research.
- Frame background and foreground clinical queries using the PICO form.
- Demonstrate skills in selecting and searching appropriate online resources to perform effective searches.
- Utilize the EBC Critical Appraisal checklists to evaluate relevance and validity of articles and other resource materials.
- Gain a basic understanding of selected statistical functions required to critically appraise the literature using established checklists.
- Develop a framework of ethical and legal application of chiropractic research in daily practice.
- Initiate a life long commitment to inquiry and searching out the best possible evidence for patient decisions.
- Assess future trends with evidence-based practice guidelines and “point of care” database services.
Journal Club begins every three months and runs for a duration of 12 months.
- Session I: January 1, 2013 thru December 31, 2013
- Session II: April 1, 2013 thru March 31, 2014
- Session III: July 1, 2013 thru June 30, 2014
- Session IV: October 1, 2013 thru September 30, 2014
To gain admission to the Journal Club, students must:
1. Be a graduate of University of Bridgeport.
2. Submit a registration form
3. Include payment of $225 for a one-year session with the registration form.
To gain access to the Journal Club from the start date, registration must occur one week prior to the start date.
Phone: (203) 576-4168