Human Resources Administrative Specialist
Reporting to the Director of Human Resources, the Human Resources Administrative Specialist is a highly visible position providing a variety of critical and professional administrative support to the University’s active Human Resources Department. Responsibilities include greeting visitors in a friendly and professional manner, general filing, generating letters and reports, and designing and maintaining spreadsheets as required. Responsible for providing administrative support by initiating and coordinating the clerical and secretarial functions required in the effective implementation of administrative policies in the HR Department. Additionally, the position provides data entry and report generation services.
Additional key functions of this role include the provision of assistance and support of specific HR events such as meetings, training sessions, job fairs, etc. Ensures that all new employees have completed the required documentation and that a personnel file has been started. Provide assistance in utilizing the University’s Human Resource Information System.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Personnel File Maintenance: Prepare and maintain employee files assuring accuracy, compliance, timeliness and confidentially in a variety of HR endeavors including new employee follow-up, unemployment claims, verifications, I-9 status and State regulations.
- Data Entry: Maintains Human Resource Information System records including all address changes and inputting of new employees into the Datatel Colleague system and compilation of reports from database as needed. Update and maintain employees’ files regarding the tracking of salary adjustments, termination of employment, changes in classification, etc.
- Job Descriptions/Performance Appraisals: Help to monitor the performance appraisal process including informing supervisors of due date for conducting incremental performance reviews. Works with individual departments to convert job descriptions to new format.
- Recruitment: Post all positions on the University portal/website as well as at on-campus locations in Bridgeport/Stamford/Waterbury as requested. Assist is pre-screen and/or reference calls as requested. Assist in HireRight background screenings as requested. Assist in the placement of ads as requested.
- Conducts reference checks for new employees as requested. Completes all employment verifications in the University proscribed manner.
- Special Programs/Projects: Assists departments in carrying out various human resources programs and procedures for University employees. On-going special projects include the campus directory, Service Awards, job description update, Employee Handbook, etc.
- Tuition Exchange: Assists the Director in the tracking and coordination of the tuition exchange programs.
- Clerical Office Support: Responsible for data-entry, filing, copying and handling mail; compiling orientation packages; set up and maintenance of employee personnel files; budget reconciliation; greeting visitors; answering telephones/checking messages for HR department and department calendar coordination.
SECONDARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assists in organizational training and development efforts.
- Participates in administrative staff meetings and attends other meetings and seminars.
- Performs all other related duties as required and assigned.
Requires a Bachelor’s degree in a related field from an accredited college or university supplemented by three years of progressively responsible experience in human resources or a related field that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities to successfully perform the duties as described above. A combination of education and directly related experience and training may be considered in substitution for a bachelor’s degree. Previous work experience in a college or other academic environment is desirable.
This position requires a high level of collaboration and interaction between various constituents within the college and the university. This individual should have excellent interpersonal communication skills, strong organizational skills, attention to detail and accuracy, excellent analytical/problem-solving skills, a positive outlook, and a desire to be part of a team and support the obtaining of end goals.
In incumbent will have a demonstrated ability and willingness to communicate effectively with relate to and work within, a diverse faculty, staff and student community; previous supervisory experience highly desirable.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Office, (Excel, PowerPoint, Word), prior Datatel Colleague experience is highly desirable;
- Requires prior knowledge of principles and practices of human resources. Prior experience with an HRIS database preferred. Requires effective oral and written communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills, and computer literacy.
- Knowledge of University’s policies/procedures & benefit package or the ability & willingness to learn.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Effectively communicate with people in potentially stressful situations.
- Ability to consistently meet daily, weekly and monthly deadlines.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Please send letter of application and resume to:
Department of Human Resources,
Human Resources Administrative Specialist
University of Bridgeport,
126 Park Avenue. Wahlstrom Library 7th Floor
Bridgeport, CT 06604
Fax: 203 576-4601
It is the policy of the University of Bridgeport to prohibit discrimination in admissions, educational programs and employment, and in the provision of services on the basis of legally protected class characteristics (unless there is a bona fide occupational qualification related to employment), or any other unlawful factor. Protected class characteristics include race, color, ethnicity, religion, age, creed, ancestry, workplace hazards to reproductive systems, sex (gender identity, gender expression, sexual harassment), marital status, civil union status, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, national origin, physical/mental/learning disability, veteran status and any other group protected by civil rights laws.
The University of Bridgeport complies with Clery Act and maintains records of campus crime statistics and security policies. Copies of University of Bridgeport Clery Act reports are available at http://www.bridgeport.edu/life/student-services/campus-safety/